"We haven't had any communication in a while, and it's given me time I needed to think." 

That's the start of one of my favorite monologues from the book-to-film adaptation of Eat, Pray, Love. I also thought it would be an appropriate beginning to answer the question, "Where the hell have you been over the past year?"

My last post was written with me scratching my head while standing at a crossroads. My sense of home was being split between three states, my Bucket List was growing longer every day, and I was swimming in this big pool of uncertainty, which was bad enough considering I can only doggie paddle.

I was overwhelmed, overworked, and just over the idea of settling. Something needed to change. I needed to change. I joined the ranks of twentysomething job candidates looking for something better. I made cold calls, killed several trees to make resumes and cover letters, made last minute trips for job interviews, pounded the pavement in cold December weather wearing 3-inch heels and a pin-striped business suit, tried to sell myself with the typical 30-second elevator speech…all in hopes that someone would finally see my full potential.

I'm happy to report that 2012 rolled in with a new job and a new location. I came back home to the north NJ/NYC area. This year has been good to me, but that’s not to say that it hasn’t come with its challenges.

So, why am I back at Eat & be Mary? Over the past year, I’ve been able to cross off several items on my Bucket List that I never thought I could actually do. Writing a blog was on that list, too, but it was always a “stop and go” type of project because I never really knew what I wanted this to be. So, with doubts that people would ever read this, with fears of being ridiculed for what I had to say, and with lack of commitment and drive needed to realy make this work, I let it go.

But this blog has always been on my mind. I want another go at it. I don't want to settle. And if an audience is still out there - I'd appreciate the company.

“I say: ‘Attraversiamo.’ Let’s cross over.” – Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love


Leave a Reply

Images & Text Copyright Eat & Be Mary. Design by 2bloom.co / Samantha Bird Design. Powered by Blogger.